Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wearing A Watch

It’s kind of interesting to see how some people never wear a watch, while others always have one on. And many people I know prefer to rely on their cell phones for the time. Personally, I’ve worn one pretty much every day for the last 3 years. Possibly longer. It finally caught up with me the other day, as the indiglo failed to work, and finally the battery ceased to function at all.

I never realized just how habitually and compulsively I look at my wrist. I was always aware of the fact that I rely on my watch to know what the date, and often the day of the week, is. But since I don’t have the time (and also the date) on hand anymore (pardon the pun), it has come to my attention just how often I check the time. I’m not sure why I do that. But now every time I do, I get annoyed at myself for forgetting that my watch is dead.

Which begs the question: why am I still wearing my watch? I can’t offer a very good answer for this, only that it has become tantamount to a piece of clothing for me. I almost feel naked without it. Well, not quite, but you get the idea. Also, it helps me identify myself in pictures when I’m not sure which person is me. (That usually only happens in group shots from behind.)

Fortunately, my watch battery is getting replaced today, so my inconvenience is likely to end soon. Something else I’ve noticed, though, is that when I don’t know the time, I work longer and don’t seem to need breaks as often. I wonder why that is.

-Bernier

No comments: