Friday, May 23, 2008

Stuck Spacebar

Have you ever had this problem? Let me assure that it is exceedingly frustrating. Basically I’ve had to fight with my keyboard every time I want to type something. And it’s pretty much random too. Like sometimes I can rattle off a dozen words at a time and then WHAM! Suddenly the blinking line takes off to the right and I have to struggle to get back to where I was. Sometimes I have to backspace continuously for like 15 seconds because the spacebar keeps running away from me.

And often times it will skip on me in the middle of a word, sometimes more than once in the same word. Needless to say, it’s very annoying. Writing passwords is a hassle. When spaces and letters all appear as asterisks, I have no idea if I’ve done it right, or where I might have gone wrong. I basically have to put the password in the username section (while fighting the spacebar), and cut and paste it into the password box.

It was so bad that I decided not to bother writing captions for all my “Epic May Long” photos on Facebook. I even refrained from blogging. Then I decided to suck it up and put up with it. Yesterday’s entry was written while constantly fighting an errant spacebar, and the captions took longer than usual, but I guess it’s all good.

With all of this backspacing I have now have to do, I’m wondering if that key is going to start to stick as well. Maybe that won’t be so bad. If the spacebar and backspace are both stuck, will they just cancel each other out? Probably not. I’m sure it will just multiply my frustration exponentially.

But there is some good news. This morning, my dad bought and installed a new wireless keyboard. It works beautifully. I especially like that the annoying ‘Insert’ key is safely tucked away with the F keys, not right next to the delete key. So I guess I won’t be hitting that stupid key all the time anymore. I still have a lot of backspacing to do, but that’s because of my ever-present spelling corrections I have to make. Darn speed-typing. Oh well. I’m glad to have my keyboard back.

-Bernier

No comments: